Friday, March 30, 2007

What is your "Sweet Spot?"

I’ve been reading, Cure for the Common Life by Max Lucado for the last two months or so. This book promises to help identify your strengths and skills in order to find you’re “Sweet Spot” (what God has put you here on Earth for). Throughout this journey (thus far) I have faced positive and negative truths about my life. In one section of this book it asks you to describe things you enjoyed and where good at in your childhood, youth and adult life. The sad truth was I couldn’t think of anything. I contemplated for two days, remembering, reflecting and revisiting all the little things that make me, me. Initially, I came up with common themes, being outside, socializing with friends & family, persuading others in order to get my own way. A great start but far from specific examples. I enlist my family’s assistance on this important and pivotal subject.

First I ask my husband, “Honey, what am I really good at? What are my strengths?” If someone asked me what are my husband’s strengths I could name a variety of things. My husband replied, um, um… (A minute later) you’re a great mom! Yeah, what else…You’re an excellent bran muffin maker! What else…Basically, the above is all he could come up with. At this point I feel like crying. I call my mom. I ask her, what did I love doing as a child or in my youth? Silence… “Um, you sang all the time!” I respond, yes mom but this book asks you to identify not just what you enjoyed doing but what you were good at. I am not that great of a singer. What else…My mom named similar themes as I did. For example, that I loved going outside, etc. Then she said, “When you were little everywhere you went people seemed drawn to you. You were captivating or in my mother’s words, “you were fascinating to watch.”

This conversation did enlighten me to fact that when kids are small or even in their teens they either volunteer in their community or join a sports team or society. Although, I was in Brownies, had taken two years of piano lessons, was on the Basketball team and Volleyball team. My favorite part was the social aspect: bonding, making friends, keeping everyone’s spirit high. I loved the competitive and physical aspects as well. These activities aside, my childhood and youth were overshadowed by my struggles in academics. All my extra focus went into getting a passing grade.

I call my sister and ask similar questions, “What are my strengths, etc?” Erika replies like everyone else, stumped. Gurrrrrrr…I’m feeling pretty worthless. She did say I was good a kicking her ass growing up. That was true; I did beat her up a lot. Maybe, I can be the next boxing superstar. Um, well maybe, no! God has given every person a gift/strength, but yet I can’t see mine nor can anyone else for that matter.

I have about 25 pages left to go in my book. All I can say at this point is that I have uncovered my hidden talents. Stay tuned to hear what my “Sweet Spot" is!

4 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Erika said...

Hey, I believe I also said you were good at making thoughtful cards that touch people and make them cry! You are also a very good listener, I always feel better after talking things out with you. You don't give yourself enough credit. Things will come.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Kirsten Sampson said...

Thanks. I know things will work themselves out. I have faith that God will lead me into the right direction.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I often feel like I'm wasting my life. I still don't even know what I want to be when I grow up. I frequently go down that road of self-reflection. I often try and think of things I enjoy and am good at, (and could make money doing). I always draw a blank.

I think what you are feeling is pretty common. I've discussed this with many other people who feel the same way about themselves.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Erika said...

Well, God and Psychic Mike!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home